I've made quite a lot of peanut butter and chocolate cupcakes in my time but these were a pretty different spin off. The ball of peanut butter in the middle I think needs some margarine to make it a little more runny rather than the "stick to the roof of your mouth" texture usually gained from a mouthful of peanut butter. I've
adjusted the recipe accordingly though. The one last thing I'd probably do is add a tiny pinch of pink salt flakes because I love salty sweet baked goods but this is totally optional.
We also found some vegan peanut brittle at the asian grocer on the way home so I decorated them with a few crushed pieces of that. For something thrown together rather quickly for an afternoon bbq in the park I'm pretty happy.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Surprise Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache (makes 12 cupcakes)
- 75 grams of dark vegan chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/4 cup dutch pressed cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup canola
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp peanut butter (smooth or crunchy...it's your call)
- 1 tbsp margarine
- 2 or 3 tbsp icing sugar
- pinch of salt flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius and line tray with papers.
- Half fill a saucepan with water and bring to simmer. Reduce heat so water is steaming but not boiling. Cover with a bowl making sure it has a lip that comes over the edge of the saucepan.
- Add dark chocolate and stir gently with a rubber spatula* until fully melted.
- In a medium bowl mix together soy milk and apple cider vinegar. Put aside to curdle.
- In another medium bowl sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cornflour and salt.
- To the soy milk mixture add dark brown sugar, canola oil and vanilla essence. Beat until foamy.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and beat until no large lumps remain.
- Add melted dark chocolate and beat until combined.
- For the peanut butter middle combine all ingredients and roll into 12 even balls.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and push peanut butter ball into middle. Use a teaspoon to smooth batter over the top of ball.
- Place in oven and bake for 18-20 mins or until tops spring back when lightly pressed with finger.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 10mins then remove from pan to completely cool.
- 1/3 cup soy milk
- 110 grams vegan dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- In a small saucepan bring soy milk to light boil
- Remove from heat and add chocolate and syrup.
- Mix with rubber spatula* and continue until chocolate is melted and icing is smooth and shiny.
- Remove from heat and leave to cool a little as this will make it easier to spread.
*IMPORTANT - Chocolate is not your friend and dark organic vegan chocolate is not cheap. It is imperative to use a rubber spatula (or if you don't have one a metal spoon) in these instances. The tiniest drop of water will cause it to seize rendering it completely useless. Do not use a wooden spoon as they soak up moisture and make sure there is no way steam can enter chocolate when melting over a water bath.
>TIP - Dutch cocoa IS your friend...although sometimes on the slightly expensive side you will notice a huge difference in any of your chocolate cakes if you make the switch. Come on people...it's only a few extra dollars!!