02 October 2009

Go coconuts for lice-screams!

I've always wanted to make cupcakes in ice-cream cones and now that I have I feel the fool for not having done it sooner! When I turned vegan I just assumed I'd have to kiss the fantasy goodbye only to discover that had I made the HUGE effort of extending my arm to pick up the box and read the insanely long list of...uh, 5 ingredients I would have known I was just being stupid. Who would have thought that I too would fall victim to the "Oh I'm vegan now, I can't eat anything that comes in a box and is bad for you". Idiot.

Anyway, I'm getting away from myself. Coconut and lime cupcakes in ice-cream cones, all the fun of summer wrapped up in one miniature treat! Hell, it couldn't taste anymore like summer unless you rolled it in sand, stuffed it with zinc and shoved an umbrella in it!*


You may be inclined to think the cones will burn but rest assured they won't. Don't as
k me how, or why because the best I can think of is magic...probably something to do with voodoo but even more probable is it's not anything to do with voodoo at all. In fact, if someone can come up with an explanation other than the sacrificing of a goat for my unburnt ice-cream cones could you please let me in on it. Thanks!

But again, I digress. I loved these, the small, loud, sugar hailing child loved these, the hairy, artistic and also sugar hailing man loved these. (The very man behind my awesome header and keeping my sanity in check. If you like that arty stuff check out his blog.) So with a bit of luck, you'll love these!! Onward and upward (or downward as it may seem) to the recipe!

*May cause cupcake to taste gritty and pasty. Umbrella not intended for children under 3.


Coconut and Lime cup-screamers

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups soy milk
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 1/4 cups plain flour
  • 1/4 cup cornflour
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4-1/2 cup shredded coconut (depends how nuts you are for coc!)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 3/4 cups white sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp coconut extract
  • zest of 1 lime
  • packet of ice cream cones (with flat bottoms so they stand...like the new taco shells, genius)
Method
  1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celcius and place cones on a baking tray. (Mine were really small sized ones so I ended up filling about 20 so fill the tray to be safe, you can always remove the ones you don't fill later.)
  2. In a medium bowl mix together soy milk and apple cider vinegar. Place aside to curdle.
  3. In another medium bowl sift together plain flour, cornflour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  4. To the soy milk mixture add the canola oil, sugar, vanilla extract and coconut extract. Beat until foamy.
  5. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until no large lumps remain.
  6. Add lime zest and mix until combined.
  7. Fill your ice-cream cones 2/3 to 3/4 full.
  8. Place in oven and bake for 18-22 minutes (this will depend on how big your cones are) or until tops spring back when lightly touched with a finger.
  9. Remove from oven and leave to cool on tray for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Lime "Butter"cream

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup copha
  • 1/4 cup margarine
  • 2 cups icing sugar (or more if you feel it is needed)
  • 1/8 cup lime juice
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Method
  1. Cream together copha and margarine. (Copha can be tricky as it is really solid so I find chopping it up well and then a few seconds...seriously ONLY a few seconds, in the microwave can help. Especially on cold days.)
  2. Add 1/2 cup of icing sugar, beating the whole time and then a splash of lime juice. Do this until all the icing sugar and juice is gone.
  3. Add vanilla extract and beat for a further 3 or so minutes.
Pipe onto cuppies and salute the coming of summer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.