This is the first time I've been successful making brittle that was actually, well brittle. Granted I've only tried a couple of times before but I've managed to make a soft, runny toffee-esque version and a burnt mass of ass. Turns out it's really not so hard to make, I'm just not the kitchen master I thought I was.
Anyway, point being if I can do it you can too, so whip out your apron and mixer and get to cooking. You only live once and sugar is king!
Lemon Pistachio Cupcakes w/- Rosewater Pistachio Brittle (makes 12 cupcakes)
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1/8 cup cornflour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- 30-40 whole pistachio nuts, shelled.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius and line tray with papers.
- In a medium bowl mix together soy milk and apple cider vinegar. Place aside to curdle.
- In another medium bowl sift together plain flour, cornflour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- To the soy milk mixture add the canola oil, sugar, vanilla extract and lemon extract. Beat until foamy.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until no large lumps remain.
- Add lime zest and pistachios and mix until combined.
- Fill papers to about 2/3 full. Take note that each cupcake is getting a few of the nuts.
- Place in oven and bake for 18-20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched with a finger.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 10mins then remove from pan to completely cool.
- 1/4 cup copha
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean scraped
- Cream together copha and margarine.
- Add 1/2 cup of icing sugar, beating the whole time and then a splash of lemon juice. Do this until all the icing sugar and juice is gone.
- Add vanilla extract and beat for a further 3 or so minutes.
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 tbsp rosewater
- 1 tbsp margarine
- couple of handfuls of coarsely chopped pistachios (really doesn't matter how many you use, depends how you like your brittle)
- Place sugar in a medium heavy bottom saucepan and cook over a medium heat for about 5 mins or until sugar dissolves and is a nice golden brown colour.
- Add rosewater, stir through and remove from heat.
- Add margarine and pistachios and stir to coat.
- Pour and spread over a baking tray to cool. (You can line it with some baking paper but I found the margarine made it really non-stick so I'm not even sure it's necessary.)
- Leave for about 20mins to cool and harden then break into shards.
Eat half the brittle before it even makes it onto a cupcake.
**Note** Liquid sugar is beyond hot and sticky as all f***. If you get it on yourself it will mean a serious burn so make sure when preparing the brittle it has your complete and utter attention. Now, I have the awareness of a small child full of pixie sticks, whiz fizz and cordial but even I managed not to scald myself so turn off the TV, stop yelling at the kids and for Lucifer's sake put on some pants! Everyone knows genitals hate molten lava sugar!